Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Welcome to the Family

Over the Holidays while I was home I had to honor, like many others, to spend time with family. On Christmas Eve my family was all sitting around going through old pictures and sharing stories. As I listened to what was being talked about I started to think of the idea of "family" and what makes up family. At camp we start every week of the summer with the song "Welcome to the Family" I wonder if the kids realize while they sing that song that they are really joining a family. I have had the pleasure of being a part of many different families, all that have had a huge impact on my life and who I am today.

First obviously is my immediate family. I am not sure how many people grew up with siblings or were even close to their siblings. Well my brother has been my best friend since I can remember, we have done everything together and continue to do so. A few years ago I got the chance to be the best man in his wedding and I know one day he will be the best man in mine. My family is one that has supported every decision that I have made and helped me learn from the ones that might not have been the best ones. I couldn't have asked for a better group of people to teach me about family.


The next big family in my life has been my Dance Marathon family. For all 6 years of college I had the chance to be a part of something that changed my life forever. In 2008 and 2009 that experience brought me in contact with about 20 other people who shared the same passion and love that I had for IUDM. The exec council was a family that not only supported me through college but challenged me to get a better person. I always think of times when we all get together now and it's as if nothing has changed. Moments that will be a part of my life forever are standing in the HPER gym in a circle of dark blue shirts knowing we had just done everything we could to make a difference in the lives of others.

Lastly I have had the honor of working at camp for almost 10 years now and have spent at least one week of summer here for almost 20 years now. I truly feel that camp is a family and one that gives unconditional support and love. I can always remember back to high school when I lost my dads parents and the only place I wanted to go was up to camp. I am not sure why but it is that place of support, where when you get out of your car you immediately feel love and that you are the most special person at that time. I hope when kids come to camp they realize that they are a part of a real family here at camp. I hope even more that the staff feel a part of the family when they spend time here. The staff are what make this all possible and the support that they show each other is really what makes working at camp different then other places. I am still close with a lot of people that I worked with almost ten years a go and I know that we will stay in contact for years to come.


There are many different types of families, all different and great. Don't take the time you spend with "family" for granted, share your life with them and continue to grow with them.

1 comment:

  1. Nice post, man.

    Adam, there are many of us who have a profound, unwavering love for Camp Tecumseh. I have to say, though, that yours is perhaps stronger than anyone's. It is clear in your posts, and it's clear when I hear you talk about camp. It's palpable. You obviously see yourself as a caretaker of Tecumseh, and I take solace in knowing you're there to do it. I hope you are there for many many years to come.

    ReplyDelete